The most basic reason to install dust collectors is because the EPA, OSHA or other regulatory agency requires you to. However there are other reasons to install a dust collector even if you aren’t required to.
- Health and safety
- Dust can cause health issues, even if the material isn’t a carcinogen or sub-micron. Dusty air can cause issues breathing, allergies, etc. All of this can cause operators to be sick more often or want a new job. This can cause increased operating expenses and less efficiency as you have to cover for absences or have to train a replacement. Small local dust collectors can help clean the air around operators.
- Some dust is explosive, and the regulatory agencies are requiring that you test the dust to make sure it isn’t. Even if they haven’t gotten around to it yet, a fire or explosion will cause property damage and possibly injury to employees.
- Maintenance – Dust will get into mechanical equipment and cause increased wear on them. This increases the maintenance on the equipment, lower productivity and increase operational expenses. Installing a local dust collector can minimize the dust getting to the surrounding equipment, thereby extending their life. While there are many factors that affect when equipment needs maintenance, minimizing dust in the air will definitely help extend the time between maintenance.
- Recycling of material – Local dust collection can help capture product / raw material dust before it is contaminated by other material. This dust can then be reused or recycled, thereby lowering the cost of your process. Cyclonic dust collectors are especially good at collecting un-contaminated material since they have no filters to retain dusts and can be cleaned out.
- Environmental responsibility – Local dust collection will help you keep fugitive dust from escaping the building and into the environment. While rain and wind often deposit dust back on the ground, the more dust escaping will cause the air to be dirtier. This could cause smell or dust clouds that neighbors will dislike. Beyond being a good direct neighbor, you may just have a goal to be a better inhabitant on the earth.
- Higher morale – A cleaner, healthier environment will help your employees be happier at work. If they aren’t irritated from dusty air, there is a better chance they will enjoy work better and be more productive. This will allow you to produce more at a lower cost. And the company will make more money allowing the employees to get better raises.
To learn more about which dust collector, please contact our experts at 440-543-7400 or click on the button below to get our Whitepaper: 4 Potential Dangers to Collectors! How Cyclone Pre-Filters Can Help!